I love Autumn here in Upstate NY and it's coming just around the corner.
The leaves start to change, there's a chill in the air, I'll get to wear cozy clothes, and...drink and eat everything pumpkin. 🙂
However, did you know Pumpkin is also good for you?? Hooray!
Here are 6 Surprising Benefits of Pumpkin!
Pumpkin is rich in fiber, which helps slow digestion and keeps you feeling fuller longer. Believe it or not - there's seven grams of fiber in a cup of canned pumpkin.
Canned pumpkin is nearly 90 percent water, so besides the fact that it helps keep you hydrated, it has fewer than 50 calories per serving.
Pumpkin's lovely orange coloring comes from it's large supply of beta-carotene, which is converted to vitamin A in the body. Vitamin A is essential for eye health. A single cup of pumpkin contains over 200 percent of most people's recommended daily intake of vitamin A.
Pumpkin has a large dose of vitamin A that helps your body fight infections and viruses.
Pumpkin also has 20 percent of the recommended amount of daily vitamin C, which could help you recover from colds faster.
Eating pumpkin can help you look younger because the beta-carotene in pumpkin helps protect us from the sun's wrinkle-causing UV rays.
Lower cancer risk
Beta-carotene is great for your eyes and skin, but you know what else it's good for? Fighting cancer.
Vitamins A and C are are both antioxidants, and they fight against cancer-causing free radicals.
Here's a great way to enjoy more pumpkin!
Pumpkin Spice Latte Recipe
PREP TIME: 5 mins
COOK TIME: 5 mins
TOTAL TIME: 10 mins
- 1 cup dark brewed coffee or espresso
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 2 T raw pure honey
- 1.5 tablespoons pumpkin puree
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon organic vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- organic stevia if desired
- Combine all of the ingredients in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Simmer for 5 minutes, whisking occasionally, until heated through and slightly frothy on top.
- Carefully transfer the liquid to a blender and cover the top. Blend on high for 30 seconds until foamy. Alternatively, use an immersion blender in the pot.
- Fill 2 mugs and enjoy!